Re: Problem with USB-to-SATA adapters (was: AS2105-based enclosure size issues with >2TB HDDs)

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, James Bottomley wrote:

> Before we embark on elaborate hacks, why don't we just make the capacity
> writeable (by root) in sysfs from userspace (will require block change)?
> We can then encode all the nasty heuristics (including gpt reading) in
> userspace as a udev rule.

That's what I'm working on.  Except that I don't know where to do it in
the block layer, so for now I'm adding the attribute to sd.c.

Where in the block layer would the right place be?  We want this to
apply only to entire devices, not to individual partitions.

Alan Stern