Re: Bind usb device to another class driver

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014, vichy wrote:

> >> My questions:
> >> 1. is there anything I need to do, such as PCI driver, before bind to
> >> usb-storage driver?
> >
> > Normally, if uas will bind to a device then usb-storage won't.  You can
> > change this by using a module paramter for usb-storage:
> >
> >         modprobe usb-storage quirks=1759:5002:u
> >
> > (1759 and 5002 are the vendor and product IDs for this device.)
> Is there any interface priority written in driver to let uas instead
> of usb-storage bind the device?

Yes.  If a device supports both transports then the kernel will use uas
instead of usb-storage, because it is more efficient.  The quirk
overrides this behavior.

> BTW, if we try not let uas bind the device, why don't we add the quirk
> in uas but usb-storage? What is the "u" at the end of command mean?

In fact, uas uses usb-storage for quirk handling.  So if you add the
quirk to usb-storage then it will apply to both drivers.

The 'u' means: Don't use the uas driver.  This is supposed to be
explained in Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt, but it got left out.
I will have to add it.

Alan Stern