Detecting removed ttyUSBn device with poll().

is there any way to detect that a ttyUSBn serial device has gone away when
monitoring it for input with poll() (i.e. with POLLIN set)? I've tried also
setting POLLHUP and POLLERR, although the documentation says that isn't
necessary. I've also tried setting POLLRDHUP. I've tried enabling the HUPCL
termios attribute on the serial device. None of these seem to work, i.e. poll()
doesn't come out of its wait when I disconnect the USB to serial adapter. In
case it matters, I'm using 3.11.10-100.fc18.x86_64.

EMail: dave@xxxxxxxxx | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://FamilyRadio.com/