Re: Bind usb device to another class driver

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, vichy wrote:

> hi all:
> I have read the article below and try to do the same operation on my device.
> http://lwn.net/Articles/143397/
>
> My environment:
> 1. my kernel is 3.16
> 2. device descriptor is attached.
> 3. below are my operation logs:
>    # echo -n "4-2:1.0" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/uas/unbind
>    # echo -n "4-2:1.0" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage/unbind
>    bash: echo: write error: No such device
>    #

Why do you want to bind your drive to usb-storage instead of uas?

> My questions:
> 1. is there anything I need to do, such as PCI driver, before bind to
> usb-storage driver?

Normally, if uas will bind to a device then usb-storage won't.  You can
change this by using a module paramter for usb-storage:

	modprobe usb-storage quirks=1759:5002:u

(1759 and 5002 are the vendor and product IDs for this device.)

> 2. I can check whether the usb device is bound to specific driver
> through "cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices".
>    is there any alternative way to do so? how about other drivers,
> except usb, to let user know whether the binding/unbinding
> successfully and which device is bound to  which driver?

	ls -l /sys/bus/usb/devices/.../driver

where you fill in the "..." with the path for the interface you are
interested in, such as 1-4:1.0.  Alternatively,

	ls /sys/bus/usb/drivers/.../

where you fill in the "..." with the name of the driver you are
interested in.

Alan Stern