Re: UAS errors with Jmicron

Hello,

>> I don't think it is a power issue.
>> I'm using on desktop PC on usb2 port with just a simple cable but the
>> disk (WD5000LPVX) only consumes 1.4 Watts (read/write) and it is
>> stable on Windows.
>
> http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771437.pdf
>
> Says it uses 1.4 Watts "average", it has a rated peak power
> consumption of 1A, and a USB2 port can deliver only 0.5 A, so
> its rate maximum is twice as much as the USB2 port's maximum.

I think that peak only can happens when the disk starts.

> Disconnection issues like you are seeing are typical for drawing
> too much power from the port. Using uas as the dmesg shows you
> are will allow us to send more commands to the disk at once
> (which is a good thing, it is faster) and as such will increase
> power consumption.

Maybe the too much commands freeze the chip.

> Does the enclosure you are using have the option to provide
> external power, and have you tested things that way ?

Unfortunately no option for that:
http://www.delock.com/produkte/G_42523/merkmale/1.html?setLanguage=en

Today I wanted to buy a USB Y cable to double the available power but
I didn't have luck with local shops.
I need more time to exclude the possibility of this power issue.
(But I have to say again, it is stable on Windows.)

Br,
Laszlo