xhci error: Transfer event TRB DMA ptr not part of current TD

Hi Sarah, Matthias, et al,

I've been running a full Linux distro from an uas enclosure with a ssd
for testing purposes (mostly for testing the distro on different
hardware but also for uas testing).

While testing this on a Thinkpad T440s I noticed the error
from $subject happening exactly once in the log. This always happens
when initializing the uas disk enclosure with the ssd. This happens
with both 3.15 and 3.16-rc4.

I've run a battery of tests to try and pin this down, here is the
test matrix:

                         T440s (Ivy Bridge)   E6430 (Sandy Bridge)  Desktop (NEC)
Renesas uPD720231 + ssd:  FAIL (*)             OK                    OK (**)
ASM1053E + hdd         :  OK                   OK                    OK (**)
ASM1053E + ssd         :  OK                   OK                    OK (**)

*) Putting an USB-3 hub in between makes no difference
**) Tested with an USB-3 hub in between

Where FAIL means that the error shows up.

The 2 enclosures tested with are:
Renesas uPD720231: http://www.amazon.com/SEDNA-SE-EH-322-U-External-Enclosure-Support/dp/B00E0MLIVE
ASM1053E: http://plugable.com/products/usb3-sata-uasp1

The 3 xhci controllers tested with are:

T440s (Ivy Bridge):
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC [8086:9c31] (rev 04)

E6430 (Sandy Bridge):
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:1e31] (rev 04)

Desktop (NEC):
01:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04)

So this seems to only happen (and even then only once on init) when
pairing a Renesas uPD720231 with an Ivy Bridge chipset xHCI controller.

For completeness sake, the ssd used in both cases was: a 120G Crucial M500,
model string: Crucial_ CT120M500SSD1 .

If you want me to build a kernel with a patch added to add some extra
debugging around the problem area to pin this down, send me such a
patch and I'll happily run some tests with it.

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

While doing all this testing I've also found a regression with 3.16 and the
Renesas uPD720231, which I'm bisecting now, so more on that later.

I can work around the regression by limiting the max amount of streams
(and thus outstanding requests) to 16. Which means the regression might not
be specific to the uPD720231, as the ASM1053E only supports 16 streams to
begin with.