Re: use of isochronous mode

On Thu, 22 May 2014, Yves Martens wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read the USB spec, understand when to prefer bulk vs. isochronous pipes.
> My usecase requires controlled jitter & guaranteed bandwidth.
> But when discussing this with multiple peer engineers, rumor goes isochronous mode has 'issues' (sic), they advise me against using it altogether.
>
> But when I try to pinpoint, I find nothing: 'isochronous' does not require more patches on this mailing list or in the git history; no panic stories on forums; commercial devices are few but do exist.
>
> Does the Linux USB implementation supports both equally well? And also the scheduling of a mixture of both pipe types? For both USB 2 and 3?

In general, isochronous support isn't quite as good as bulk support.
However, it varies with the driver.

For uhci-hcd and ohci-hcd, isochronous is supported just as well as
bulk.  The same is true for high-speed transfers with ehci-hcd, but for
full-speed transfers the isochronous support is a little weak.

Isochronous support on xhci-hcd is also somewhat weak.  It hasn't been
tested very well, and there have been repeated reports of problems on
Intel's xHCI controllers (other controllers seem to work better).

> Do you have an idea why many commercial devices (e.g. AV applications) still would go for bulk?

Because the designers don't understand the tradeoffs very well.

Alan Stern