Re: ETIME on usbfs read of bulk input endpoint.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, Dave Mielke wrote:

> The kernel being used is 3.5.0-17-generic.

Have you tried 3.14?  3.5 is getting old.

> I'm working with a device for which this operation is known to work on Windows.

What operation?

> When I use usbfs, however, the bulk input transfer is yielding ETIME (error
> 62). This is true both synchronously (using ioctl[USBDEVFS_BULK]) and
> asynchronously (in which case urb->status contains -62). Our log shows the
> following:
>
>    2014-04-30@20:12:46.140 USB: reading endpoint: 1
>    2014-04-30@20:12:46.140 USB: ept=81 dir=in xfr=blk pkt=64 ivl=0ms
>    2014-04-30@20:12:46.140 USB: clearing endpoint: 81
>    2014-04-30@20:12:46.150 USB bulk transfer error 62: Timer expired.
>
> My understanding is that ETIME means that the device isn't responding. Given

Correct.

> that our log is showing only 10 milliseconds between the clear halt and the
> bulk read, however, I'm doubting that that's the cause.

Why not?  Maybe the device can't handle the Clear-Halt properly.  Its
firmware crashes and it stops responding to packets sent by the host.

> What else might it be?

A bug in the host controller hardware or driver, perhaps.  But that
seems rather unlikely.

Alan Stern