Re: External hard drive connection issues with xHCI

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's to be expected.  More to the point would be to test with a USB-2
> cable connected to a USB-3 port.

Yes, I tested both USB2 cable + USB2 port and USB2 cable + USB3 port.
In both cases it doesn't unmount the volume, just does such soft
resets. Though I didn't try it for the first issue. I'll give it a
try.

> You really should upgrade to 3.14.  I don't know whether all the
> changes to xhci-hcd have been back-ported to the stable kernels.

Good to know there were sizeable updates. I'll see if I can reproduce
this on a LiveCD with the latest kernel or not.

> Not much idea regarding the USB-3 problems.  Under USB-2, you can try
> to find out the reason for the resets by collecting a usbmon trace.
> (It's probably the same as the reason for the USB-3 resets.)  See the
> kernel source file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for instructions.

Is there any reason why USB3 wouldn't work with usbmon? Nothing is
mentioned in the documentation itself. But yes, I'll give it a try as
well.