Re: MAX3421E: device giving NAKs forever?

David Mosberger wrote:
> >> I couldn't figure out how to force UHCI onto an EHCI chip
> >
> > I suggested removing the ehci_hcd driver. Did that work?
>
> Nope.  UHCI was loaded but it didn't recognize any UHCI-compatible
> chips so I was left without any USB devices (not even keyboard).

Hmmm. Did you unload ehci_hcd after it had been loaded once, or boot
a kernel which didn't include ehci_hcd in the first place? You might
need to do the latter.

lspci should show the UHCI companion controllers on the PCI bus.
(OHCI is also allowed by the EHCI spec, so maybe this is it? Check
lspci. Then include ohci_hcd instead.)

> >> but I did find I had some old IOGEAR USB 1.1 "extenders" (USB-over-CAT5
> >> cable) and with those, the device does switch into full-speed mode on my
> >> computer:
> >
> > It might not be comparable.
>
> I just need proof that the devices can be operated properly with
> full-speed transactions only.  As long as it does that, I should
> be fine.

I'm afraid that it will be more complicated than that. I would make
sure to try many different full-speed host controllers.

Connecting to the root port of an EHCI controller connects directly
to the companion controller for that port, when no ehci_hcd was
present in the system since boot.

//Peter