Re: USB Serial constantly polling

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 06:27:17AM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
> If I understand the USB Serial code correctly, at least open devices are
> constantly polled by 2 active URBs replaced immediately upon completion,
> except when the tty layer throttles them.

As Greg mentioned, it depends on what driver you're using but the
generic implementation, which most drivers use, has two bulk-in urbs.

> With many of these devices, this creates significant USB bandwidth usage. At
> least one report found that it starts creating practical problems after 12
> devices (on a BeagleBone), while adding a delay allows up to 60.

What driver are you using here?

In general this should not cause any problems, but for example the
ftdi_sio driver has the low-latency flag set by default which results in
bulk-in data (mostly empty, status-only packets) being received
every millisecond.

If the flag is cleared (e.g. using setserial) the latency can be
increased through sysfs (defaults to 16ms).

Johan