Re: usb: chipidea: imx: Fix probing HSIC ports

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 04:53:36PM +0100, Rolf Evers-Fischer wrote:
> Dear Peter,
> I hope that I didn't make any mistake, because this is my first linux kernel
> patch.
> If you don't mind, I'll send it directly to you as an attachment (and not to the
> kernel
> mailing list).

Please always feel free to send patch and questions to mail list,
we have worked at open kernel source. For how to submit a patch:

cumentation/SubmittingPatches

If you are using git, it is easy to create a patch (git add, git submit)
and format a patch (git format-patch), then you can use git send-email
to send your patch.

> After upgrade to kernel 3.13 my colleague discovered that the HSIC ports of our
> IMX6 board (usbh2 and usbh3) were no longer available.
>
> I discovered that the 'devm_usb_get_phy_by_phandle()' returns an -ENODEV error,
> which
> causes that the 'ci_hdrc_imx_probe()' function will not be completely executed.
>
> This patch helps to probe the HSIC ports. Until now I didn't
> see any negative impact after applying this patch on my IMX6 board.

Yes, your finding is correct, but your fix more like a temp workaround
for current kernel version. In fact, we also need a **PHY** for usb
driver no matter it exists physically or not. For HSIC controller, you
can use "usb_phy_gen_xceiv" as virtual PHY, the driver is at: drivers/
usb/phy/phy-generic.c. At dts file, the hsic node has phandle to points
to "usb_phy_gen_xceiv".

I have a work version for hsic at internal branch, I will keep you posted
when I submit hsic enable patchset, of course, you can also send that
with above changes.

--

Best Regards,
Peter Chen