Re: [RFT 1/2] xhci 1.0: Limit arbitrarily-aligned scatter gather.

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 11:58:12AM +0000, David Laight wrote:

> > The problem is that the ax88179_178a driver submits receive URBs that
> > cross 64k boundaries, and are not aligned (they start at an 0x40 boundary).
> > Receive USB frames can contain multiple ethernet frames, by default they
> > are 20kB (and sit in 24kB of memory).
>
> Perhaps you should add printks when a TRB is split on 64KB boundaries
> and see if the device drops packets around that time?

This seems kind of puzzling.

In theory, any URB that's more than 1 byte long can cross a 64-KB
boundary.  I don't understand why this should cause problems for
xhci-hcd.  Sure, the transfer has to be split into multiple TDs where
the boundary crossing occurs.  But why would that be problematic?

Alan Stern