Re: usb audio breaks ohci-pci

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Dennis New wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 17:04:05 -0500 (EST), Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Dennis New wrote:
> >
> > > When listening to my usb-bluetooth audio headset, the usb subsystem
> > > (I think) on my laptop crashes, the bluetooth/audio is lost, and my
> > > mplayer program is left in an "uninterruptible sleep" (D) state and
> > > cannot be killed. The only way to get my usb-audio working again is
> > > to reboot.

> > > The crash is difficult to reproduce, sometimes it can occur after a
> > > few minutes of a clean boot, and sometimes after a few days. After
> > > the audio/usb abruptly stops, the syslog simply says:
> > >
> > >   kernel: ALSA sound/usb/endpoint.c:501 timeout: still 3 active
> > > urbs on EP #3
> > >
> > > And then after a few minutes (after enabling some kernel debugging
> > > options), I get some call traces of the hung task(s), which have
> > > "ohci_urb_dequeue" in common.
> > >
> > >   http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash1.log
> > >   http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash2.log
> > >   http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash3.log
> >
> > The logs show that the khubd thread is hung, waiting for the ohci-hcd
> > driver to finish cancelling a transfer.
> >
> > > The problem is not with my device, since it occurs with another
> > > identical piece of hardware. It maybe be a problem with my laptop,
> > > since my friend does not seem to be experiencing this problem,
> > > although her laptop does not use ohci-pci.
> > >
> > > My usb controllers are:
> > >
> > >   1002:4374 00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
> > >     nee ATI IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
> > >   1002:4375 00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
> > >     nee ATI IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
> > >   1002:4373 00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
> > >     nee ATI IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
> >
> > Your first step in attacking this problem should be to use the most
> > up-to-date kernel available, which at the moment is 3.13-rc8.  Be
> > sure to enable CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER along with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG.
> >
> > If the problem occurs again, collect a copy of the output from the
> > dmesg command (_not_ a copy of the system log).  Then go into
> > /sys/kernel/debug/usb/ohci and collect copies of all the files in the
> > two subdirectories.
> >
> > It may be necessary to apply some debugging patches to get more
> > information.
>
> Okay, so it happened again (after the "possibly usbaudio induced
> crash" none of my usb ports work at all), and I was able to get some
> info from /sys/kernel/debug/usb this time.
>
> http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash5.log

Your problem looks a lot like the one in this email thread:

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=139041301317106&w=2

Check it out.  That patches in that thread won't help on your machine,
though, because you're using an ATI motherboard rather than NVIDIA.

(Not to mention that it's very hard to test anything in your setup,
because the problem occurs so rarely.)

Alan Stern