Re: usb audio breaks ohci-pci

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 17:04:05 -0500 (EST), Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Dennis New wrote:
>
> > When listening to my usb-bluetooth audio headset, the usb subsystem
> > (I think) on my laptop crashes, the bluetooth/audio is lost, and my
> > mplayer program is left in an "uninterruptible sleep" (D) state and
> > cannot be killed. The only way to get my usb-audio working again is
> > to reboot.

> > The crash is difficult to reproduce, sometimes it can occur after a
> > few minutes of a clean boot, and sometimes after a few days. After
> > the audio/usb abruptly stops, the syslog simply says:
> >
> >   kernel: ALSA sound/usb/endpoint.c:501 timeout: still 3 active
> > urbs on EP #3
> >
> > And then after a few minutes (after enabling some kernel debugging
> > options), I get some call traces of the hung task(s), which have
> > "ohci_urb_dequeue" in common.
> >
> >   http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash1.log
> >   http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash2.log
> >   http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash3.log
>
> The logs show that the khubd thread is hung, waiting for the ohci-hcd
> driver to finish cancelling a transfer.
>
> > The problem is not with my device, since it occurs with another
> > identical piece of hardware. It maybe be a problem with my laptop,
> > since my friend does not seem to be experiencing this problem,
> > although her laptop does not use ohci-pci.
> >
> > My usb controllers are:
> >
> >   1002:4374 00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
> >     nee ATI IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
> >   1002:4375 00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
> >     nee ATI IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
> >   1002:4373 00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
> >     nee ATI IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
>
> Your first step in attacking this problem should be to use the most
> up-to-date kernel available, which at the moment is 3.13-rc8.  Be
> sure to enable CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER along with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG.
>
> If the problem occurs again, collect a copy of the output from the
> dmesg command (_not_ a copy of the system log).  Then go into
> /sys/kernel/debug/usb/ohci and collect copies of all the files in the
> two subdirectories.
>
> It may be necessary to apply some debugging patches to get more
> information.

Erase my last post, the problem still exists with 3.13-rc8. I did
enable FRAME_POINTER and USB_DEBUG, but forgot DEBUG_FS. (I will do
that now.) There doesn't appear to be anything more informative in the
dmesg/syslog outputs. (My dmesg output was truncated, but basically the
same as my syslog.)

http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash4.log

Although, as you can see, it's difficult to reproduce -- my 3.13-rc8
was running just fine for almost a week!