Re: [regression?] escaping commas in overlayfs mount options

At 2023-10-06 19:17+0300, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> sent:

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 4:03 PM Sebastian Wick <sebastian.wick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It would be nice to have this fixed. A more general question: will you
commit on keeping the escaping stable from now on or do we have to
expect changes at any point in the future?

I prefer that escaping would be handled in userspace, now that the new
mount API allows that, so deferring the question to libmount maintainer.

Note that with overlayfs on the new mount API, there are now two levels of escaping to consider:

There is the escaping that needs to happen for commas when splitting mount parameters; this could be handled in libmount when using the new API.

And there is the escaping that needs to happen for ':' and '\' when parsing the path parameters (':' is only special syntax in lowerdir, but the escaping logic seems to apply to upperdir and workdir as well, based on my testing). Even using the new API, this is handled in the kernel. We'd like to know if this escaping can be considered stable as well, and I don't think that's a question for the libmount maintainer.

Thanks,
Ryan