Re: [regression?] escaping commas in overlayfs mount options

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 4:08 AM Ryan Hendrickson
<ryan.hendrickson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Up to and including kernel 6.4.15, it was possible to have commas in
> the lowerdir/upperdir/workdir paths used by overlayfs, provided they were
> escaped with backslashes:
>
>      mkdir /tmp/test-lower, /tmp/test-upper /tmp/test-work /tmp/test
>      mount -t overlay overlay -o 'lowerdir=/tmp/test-lower\,,upperdir=/tmp/test-upper,workdir=/tmp/test-work' /tmp/test
>
> In 6.5.2 and 6.5.5, this no longer works; dmesg reports that overlayfs
> can't resolve '/tmp/test-lower' (without the comma).
>
> I see that there is a commit between the 6.4 and 6.5 lines titled [ovl:
> port to new mount api][1]. I haven't compiled a kernel before and after
> this commit to verify, but based on the code it deletes I strongly suspect
> that it, or if not then one of the ovl commits committed on the same day,
> is responsible for this change.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/1784fbc2ed9c888ea4e895f30a53207ed7ee8208

That's a good guess.
It helps to CC the author of the patch in this case ;-)

> Does this count as a regression?

"used to work, does not work now" is pretty close to a dictionary
definition of a regression :)

The question is whether we should fix it.
The rule of thumb is that if users complain than we need to fix it,
but it's a corner case and if the only users that complained are willing
to work around the problem (hint hint) then we may not need to fix it.

> I can't find documentation for this
> escaping feature anywhere, even as it pertains to the non-comma characters
> '\\' and ':' (which, I've tested, can still be escaped as expected), so
> perhaps it was never properly supported? But a search for escaping commas
> in overlayfs turns up resources like [this post][2], suggesting that there
> are others who figured this out and expect it to work.
>
> [2]: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/552640
>
> Is there a new way to escape commas for overlayfs options?

Deferring the question to Christian.

Thanks,
Amir.