Re: Does overlay driver work if built in to the kernel?

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 3:32 AM Keyon Jie <yang.jie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to the overlayfs, I am hitting issues to make kernel modules
> work in a container environment where the Kubernetes feature really need
> the overlayfs support.
>
> I figured out to make overlay driver built-in to the VM kernel (and then
> shared to the container), but looks like the Kubernetes always fail when
> trying to create overlayfs mounts, with errors like 'permission denied'.

Usually, you want to look at the kernel log to see the reason for failure.
That is likely because the container is "unprivileged"
meaning not using the same uid 0 as the host.

Don't know which kernel you are running, but overlayfs can be mounted
inside unprivileged container since kernel v5.11:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20201217142025.GB1236412@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

> I am seeing that overlay driver is released with modular
> (CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=m) in most (not sure if it is all) Linux
> distributions, so I am wondering if the overlay driver work when built
> in to the kernel?

It can be built in or module.
That seems unrelated to your problem.

Thanks,