Does overlay driver work if built in to the kernel?

Hi all,

I am new to the overlayfs, I am hitting issues to make kernel modules work in a container environment where the Kubernetes feature really need the overlayfs support.

I figured out to make overlay driver built-in to the VM kernel (and then shared to the container), but looks like the Kubernetes always fail when trying to create overlayfs mounts, with errors like 'permission denied'.

I am seeing that overlay driver is released with modular (CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=m) in most (not sure if it is all) Linux distributions, so I am wondering if the overlay driver work when built in to the kernel?

Thanks,

~Keyon