Re: btrfs+overlayfs: upper fs does not support xattr, falling back to index=off and metacopy=off.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:12 PM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now I'm confused again.

So am I, and in retrospect I've posted here prematurely.

> Your reports starts by stating:
> "The primary problem is Bolt (Thunderbolt 3) tests that are
> experiencing a regression when run in a container using overlayfs,"
>
> But you say that the problem exists with kernel 5.9.
> When you say "regression" above, what are you referring to?

Overlayfs. Now that I've tested 5.9, I'm not so sure it's a kernel regression.

> Did those tests pass in a previous Bolt version?
> Did those tests ever pass in a container using overlayfs?

Yes and yes.

> There is surely a bug in overlayfs, but it's hard to find it without
> minimal bisection info. I'll keep looking.
>
> If it's a regression with newer distro, please try to understand
> from distro/package managers, what has changed in the container
> setup and kernel config w.r.t a container using overlayfs.

Exactly. The original report of the problem is Alpine linux, but I
can't reproduce it on Fedora except with podman using an Alpine image
base. As all the other suspects have fallen apart, what remains
untested for regressions is this.

--
Chris Murphy