btrfs+overlayfs: upper fs does not support xattr, falling back to index=off and metacopy=off.

Hi,

The primary problem is Bolt (Thunderbolt 3) tests that are
experiencing a regression when run in a container using overlayfs,
failing at:

Bail out! ERROR:../tests/test-common.c:1413:test_io_dir_is_empty:
'empty' should be FALSE

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/bolt/bolt/-/issues/171#note_872119

I can reproduce this with 5.12.0-0.rc6.184.fc35.x86_64+debug and at
approximately the same time I see one, sometimes more, kernel
messages:

[ 6295.379283] overlayfs: upper fs does not support xattr, falling
back to index=off and metacopy=off.

But I don't know if that kernel message relates to the bolt test failure.

If I run the test outside of a container, it doesn't fail. If I run
the test in a podman container using the btrfs driver instead of the
overlay driver, it doesn't fail. So it seems like this is an overlayfs
bug, but could be some kind of overlayfs+btrfs interaction.

Could this be related and just not yet merged?
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-unionfs/20210309162654.243184-1-amir73il@xxxxxxxxx/

Thanks,

--
Chris Murphy