Re: odd error: why: mount: /home2: mount(2) system call failed: Stale file handle

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 10:34 PM L A Walsh <lkml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2021/04/08 22:44, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> > It is generally not allowed to reuse the upper layer and replace the
> > lower layers after overlayfs has been mounted once.
> >
> > If you say you did not change anything, it is not clear what is the
> > benefit of reusing  the empty upper layer.
> >
> ---
>     I can understand that, the upper layer is an empty fs+work dir

You must mean empty fs+upper dir+work dir. No?

> with no changes.  It was attached to the wrong lower layer,
> unattached/unmounted.
>
>     I then made sure both upper+work were both empty and tried again
> elsewhere.  I want to avoid unnecessary steps, so destroying and recreating
> an empty partition didn't seem logical.

I am probably missing something. How is this complicated?
rmdir upperdir workdir; mkdir upperdir workdir

> How do you disassociate a
> previous connected state?  What needs to be initialized on the
> unmounted upper and working dir (on the same fs), to reuse the same
> file system?

You need to remove the trusted.overlay.* xattrs, but I still don't
understand what's the complication with re-creating two empty dirs.

Thanks,
Amir.