Re: Leaked POSIX lock warning and crash

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 2:52 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 14:22 +0300, Amir Goldstein wrote:

>> > This setup is pretty complicated. IIUC, you are exporting overlayfs via
>> > knfsd and then using the NFS client's flock emulation to map flock locks
>> > to POSIX ones. I think you probably want to simplify this reproducer a
>> > bit.
>> >
>> > Is it possible to reproduce this on a setup that doesn't have overlayfs
>> > involved, just to rule it in or out as a factor here?
>> >
>> > There are also a number of tracepoints in the posix locking code. It
>> > might be interesting to turn on the ones for posix_lock_inode and
>> > locks_remove_posix and and then run the reproducer to get a better idea
>> > of what's happening to those locks.
>> >

>> Thanks for the suggestions Jeff.
>>
>> Eddie,
>>
>> This is NFS v4. Right?
>
> I think he said v3, which means NLM (lockd).
>
>> Do you wait until Android build completes before closing the
>> first reproducer fd?
>>
>> I suspect you can replace the effect of Android build with
>> drop_caches on the server.
>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> Does knfsd hold a reference on the file/dentry/inode when
>> a lock is taken?
>>

> Given that he's using v3, it would actually be lockd in this case, but
> yes, it should hold a struct file reference by virtue of a nlm_file
> reference.
>
>> Assuming this is indeed a bug reproduced only with NFS+overlayfs
>> it sounds like overlay decode file handle fails to return the same
>> inode that knfd holds with the lock.
>
> That's a possibility.

Oh oh!

Those should be s/file_inode/locks_inode:

static inline struct inode *nlmsvc_file_inode(struct nlm_file *file)
{
        return file_inode(file->f_file);
}

static inline int nlm_compare_locks(const struct file_lock *fl1,
                                    const struct file_lock *fl2)
{
        return file_inode(fl1->fl_file) == file_inode(fl2->fl_file)

Probably all the instances under fs/lockd/ as well...
and probably some in fs/nfsd

Messy.

I have a suggestion.

Eddie,

Do you mind trying out the code in Miklos' overlayfs-next branch
from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs

This code gets rid of the file_inode/locks_inode divergion
so its a much healthier fix for the problem going forward.

Jeff,

What do you suggest that do with stable >= v4.16 kernels with
overlayfs NFS export. Do we have an easy way to disable
knfsd/lockd from using locks on exported overlayfs?
Maybe a sanity check (file_inode(file) == locks_inode(file))
to avoid the leaks/crashes.
Where would be the most strategic point(s) to add such a check?

Thanks,
Amir.