Re: Question about the condition of fsck.overlay

Hi Chengguang,

On 2018/3/14 15:20, Chengguang Xu Wrote:
> Hi Zhangyi,
>
> Please let me ask a simple question about fsck.overlay,
> is it possible to run any kernel version of overlayfs?

No, current fsck.overlay can recognize whiteout/redirect_dir/impure
xattr feature only, it don't know index and nfs_export features. So,
if run current version of fsck.overlay on overlayfs which was mounted
with index=on or nfs_export=on, if cannot guarantee the relationship
between dirs/files in indexdir and upper dir, so may lead to
inconsistency in indexdir.

This drawback will be addressed through introduce overlay feature
set as Amir suggested, I will post it soon and maybe write a NOTE
or BUG in README is better before everything is done.

> I know some advanced features are only implemented in high
> kernel version, I just want to make sure if the common check
> and repair functions are available for 4.4 kernel? Any conditions?

Yes, I think current fsck.overlay can support <= 4.12 kernel well(not
check origin xattr, but not harmful), it can support overlayfs without
index dir.

Thanks,
Yi.