Re: [fsck.overlay RFC PATCH] overlay: add fsck utility

On 3/7/2018 7:20 PM, Amir Goldstein wrote:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 11:25 AM, yangerkun <yangerkun@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/18/2017 1:13 AM, Amir Goldstein wrote:

[adding fstests in CC with full patch inline to collect wisdom from
other fs developers]

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 7:49 AM, zhangyi (F) <yi.zhang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Todo
====

1. Overlay filesystem mounted check. Prevent fscking when overlay is
online. Now, We cannot distinguish mounted directories if overlayfs was
mounted with relative path.

This should be handled by kernel.
We now already grab an advisory exclusive I_OVL_INUSE lock on both
upperdir and workdir.
fsck.overlay can try to open upperdir/workdir with O_EXCL|O_DIRECTORY
and kernel should fail this open if overlayfs is holding the  I_OVL_INUSE.
Read the man page section on O_EXCL and block device. This is how
e2fsck and friends get exclusive access w.r.t mount.

In fsck.overlay, lower layer file/dir may be modified with there is not
I_OVL_INUSE in lower layer, but we cannot check does lower layer mounted
with I_OVL_INUSE.

Can you list the possible modifications the fsck.overlay can do on lower layer?
What exactly are we trying to protect from?

Also, if we follow my suggestion above for upperdir/workdir
fsck.overlay may still
try to aquire I_OVL_INUSE on lowerdir with O_EXCL|O_DIRECTORY and kernel
can test I_OVL_INUSE flag on lowerdir without trying to set it on mount.

It's good when we want to mount overlayfs with fsck.overlay is running; But when there is a mounted overlayfs before fsck.overlay, we cannot use this way to check if the lower layer has already been used.

Maybe we need adopt another way? How about store pwd in ofs.config when we
mount the overlay.

I don't understand what that means.

Instead of relying on the partial information available in /proc/<pid>/mountinfo
we can export more interesting information from kernel per overlayfs mount,
see for example the information available at /proc/fs/ext4/<blockdev>/

For example, we can expose "layers" information, including the file handle of
all layers root dir, so fsck.overlay can figure out if any upper/lower
dir are in-use
without needing to resolve paths.

There is probably other interesting information from ofs.config that can
be exposed this way.

Instead of <blockdev> (in the ext4 case) the key would have to be the overlayfs
anonymous dev, which can be read by stat(2) on any overlay directory.

Thanks,
Amir.

.

Thanks,