Re: [fsck.overlay RFC PATCH] overlay: add fsck utility

On 11/18/2017 1:13 AM, Amir Goldstein wrote:
[adding fstests in CC with full patch inline to collect wisdom from
other fs developers]

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 7:49 AM, zhangyi (F) <yi.zhang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Todo
====

1. Overlay filesystem mounted check. Prevent fscking when overlay is
online. Now, We cannot distinguish mounted directories if overlayfs was
mounted with relative path.

This should be handled by kernel.
We now already grab an advisory exclusive I_OVL_INUSE lock on both
upperdir and workdir.
fsck.overlay can try to open upperdir/workdir with O_EXCL|O_DIRECTORY
and kernel should fail this open if overlayfs is holding the  I_OVL_INUSE.
Read the man page section on O_EXCL and block device. This is how
e2fsck and friends get exclusive access w.r.t mount.

In fsck.overlay, lower layer file/dir may be modified with there is not I_OVL_INUSE in lower layer, but we cannot check does lower layer mounted with I_OVL_INUSE.

Maybe we need adopt another way? How about store pwd in ofs.config when we mount the overlay.

Thanks,
yangerkun.