Re: Regression in overlayfs in 4.13: "could not fsync file" error by PostgreSQL

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Raphael Hertzog <raphael@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Wait, I misread the information in the report and I wrongly assumed that
>> pg_commit_ts is a file. It is not. it's a directory in which case, the
>> inode is an overlay inode and it does have fsync f_op.
>> But in the case of a lower directory that has no been copied up (which seems
>> to be the case with pg_commit_ts) overlayfs will simple vfs_fsync_range the
>> lower dir, so we are back to EINVAL.
>
> Thanks for the explanation, with this understanding I can at least create
> an easy work-around (touch a file in the directory, and drop it again,
> just before starting postgresql).

And you won't be the first to apply that sort of workaround:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/yum-ovl.1.html

>> > to not have been be copied up here, when it would have before?
>>
>> That is possible, but I would need more information about all the previous
>> access to directory pg_commit_ts by postgresql to figure it out.
>
> FWIW I reported this fsync() on a non-modified directory to PostgreSQL
> developers here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20171107135454.lbelbbvfgadljmuj%40home.ouaza.com

I guess regardless of what overlayfs behavior should be, PostgreSQL
developers better fix this somehow otherwise postgress upgrade is going to
break for users with stable kernel.

Thanks,
Amir.