Regression in overlayfs in 4.13: "could not fsync file" error by PostgreSQL

Hello,

the Kali live image contains PostgreSQL and with our latest image[1]
PostgreSQL is no longer able to create a new database (/ is an overlayfs
merging a RO squashfs filesystem and an empty RW tmpfs).

[1] http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-weekly/kali-linux-2017-W43-amd64.iso
(if 404 look up the parent directory and pick the currently available
weekly image)

You get messages like this while running createdb:
createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: checkpoint request failed
HINT: Consult recent messages in the server log for details.

And in the server log you have this:
ERROR: could not fsync file "pg_commit_ts": Invalid argument

This was working with Linux 4.12.6 and seems to be broken in Linux 4.13.4
that we currently have in Kali Linux.

Does this ring a bell to anyone ? I saw a few patches in 4.13.6 but their
description does not seem to match the error I'm getting.

What else can I provide to help you diagnose this issue ?

This bug report has been filed against Kali Linux in the first place:
https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4332

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Writer/Consultant ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ https://debian-handbook.info/get/