Re: Bug? or normal behavior? if bug, then where? overlay, vfs, xfs, or ????

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 11:57 PM, L A Walsh <lkml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Amir Goldstein wrote:
>>

>> Whiteout certainly shouldn't appear that way.
>>

> (thank goodness!)
>
>> The reason it does is that your upper fs does not support
>> "d_type" (see below).
>> It's a "known" issue, but don't know where/if it is documented.
>>
>> I expect if you look in dmesg, you will see this warning:
>>   "overlayfs: upper fs needs to support d_type."
>>

> ----
>    Yup...found that.
>>
>> We also do not check for lower fs d_type support.
>> That can also expose old whiteouts in certain setups.
>>

> ----     *ouch*.   I wonder if d_type can be set for existing file systems.
> I easily have some file systems that date back more than a few years.

Don't think you need to worry about that.
The corner case where d_type matters on lower fs are probably not relevant
for your use case.
It only matters if you are using a directory that was once an upper layer
as a lower layer (i.e. stacking of layers) and that layer already has whiteouts
in it.

>>> BTW -- is the setup in that bug report even "valid"? I.e. using
>>> the same single-underlying file system for all 4 directories?
>>>

>> Yes. Actually your setup uses 2 different file system instances
>> for lower and upper, which is fine, but it is perfectly valid, quite
>> common and even has some advantages to use upper/lower
>> on the same underlying filesystem instance.
>>

> ----
>    I was referring to the RH bug report where they had created
> everything on 1 FS.

Doesn't matter to the issue at hand.
Bug happens when upper fs has no d_type support regardless
of lower fs is the same or not.

> I wondered about upper+lower overlap problems
> on the same fs.  I'd think that could get a bit tangled

Not sure what exactly you are referring to, but if you are
thinking about using lower/upper directories that overlap -
don't!
Overlayfs will not prevent you from shooting your own foot.

Amir.