Re: Bug? or normal behavior? if bug, then where? overlay, vfs, xfs, or ????

Amir Goldstein wrote:

Whiteout certainly shouldn't appear that way.
(thank goodness!)

The reason it does is that your upper fs does not support
"d_type" (see below).
It's a "known" issue, but don't know where/if it is documented.

I expect if you look in dmesg, you will see this warning:
  "overlayfs: upper fs needs to support d_type."
----
   Yup...found that.
We also do not check for lower fs d_type support.
That can also expose old whiteouts in certain setups.
---- *ouch*. I wonder if d_type can be set for existing file systems.
I easily have some file systems that date back more than a few years.

I then created a new xfs file system and mounted it on '/edge';

   Ishtar:/edge> xfs_info ....
   naming   =version 2          bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0

Your problem is that you do not have "ftype" feature in directory
name format, like this:

naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0 ftype=1
---
   My mkfs.xfs is a few (3) years old.
Perhaps you have an old version of mkfs.xfs, not sure when
ftype=1 became the default format, but you can try to
  mkfs.xfs -n ftype=1
and follow the breadcrumbs from there.

BTW -- is the setup in that bug report even "valid"? I.e. using
the same single-underlying file system for all 4 directories?

Yes. Actually your setup uses 2 different file system instances
for lower and upper, which is fine, but it is perfectly valid, quite
common and even has some advantages to use upper/lower
on the same underlying filesystem instance.
----
   I was referring to the RH bug report where they had created
everything on 1 FS.  I wondered about upper+lower overlap problems
on the same fs.  I'd think that could get a bit tangled

Thanks... will look for a newer mkfs.xfs.