how to continuously capture events

Hi all,

I'm new to ftrace and linux programming in general. Forgive me for
asking dumb questions.

I'm trying to continuously capture certain kernel events, convert them
to a different format and then write them to a file.

I understand that trace_pipe should be used for streaming. But I'm not
sure how to read the content of trace_pipe at event boundary (I
currently just read it to a temp buffer which would sometimes cut the
last event in half). I discovered libtraceevent and libtracefs that I
think are meant to help with this kind of tasks, so I'm reading the
source code of trace-cmd to find examples. But so far the progress has
been slow.

Could anyone point me to the right direction, or advise me with a
general outline of what I should do to achieve my task?

Thanks,
Lin