Re: tracing at start and end for some trace events

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 05:19:00PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > Does it make sense?
>
> I think so, but it is extremely "specific" to your issue, and not
> something that I would think would be a generic feature.
>
> That said, I think you can accomplish this with kprobes. You can
> objdump the vmlinux to find the code for tracing_on() and tracing_off()
> or better yet, use the ring_buffer_record_on/off(). You can hook a
> probe to that point and have it record whatever register you like.
>
> Make sure that the recording happens while tracing is still on. Add the
> probe after a tracing_off() or before a tracing_on() will be rather
> useless as the probe wont be recorded.

I appreciate your consideration. No argument. But if for the generality of
this feature, it would be like giving entries in DEFINE_EVENT like: TP_START
and TP_END, in which author can write any codes for the *general* health of the
trace event. I would be the first user if allow me, and probably more users
who also want this subconisciously.

Thanks,
Yuyang