Re: [RFC] tegra: dpaux: pinctrl proposal

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 02:03:47PM +0100, Jon Hunter wrote:

> On 20/05/15 20:12, Stephen Warren wrote:

> >> My thinking was that we would have a pinctrl driver for dpaux in
> >> drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-tegra-dpaux.c and therefore, I had assumed that
> >> we would need a sub-node and compatible string to probe the device.
> >>
> >> Are you sugguesting that the pinctrl driver for dpaux lives in
> >> drivers/gpu/drm/tegra/dpaux.c?
> >>
> >> Sorry if I am misunderstanding something here.
> >
> > I think a single DT node for the single HW block makes sense. IIUC, that
> > would most correctly reflect how the HW is actually structured.
>
> Yes that would be more aligned with the HW.
>
> > I don't see any conceptual reason why the driver that binds to that node
> > can't register as both a pinctrl driver plus anything else it needs to.
> > For example, there are plenty of Linux drivers that register as both
> > GPIO and pinctrl drivers already. If having the same "struct device"
> > register with multiple subsystems doesn't work out (IIRC some subsystems
> > attempt to own the struct device's one driver_data field), then the
> > top-level driver can internally create whatever child devices it needs
> > to do its job. Using MFD to do that feels like overkill in this
> > situation since those child devices are unlikely to ever show up with
> > some different parent device or register offset. Either way, the choice
> > of whether to use MFD or not shouldn't affect the DT binding in any way.
>
> Looking at it there should not be a problem here with regard to the
> driver_data member of the device struct and so I don't see why the
> tegra_dpaux_probe() could not call pinctrl_register() to register the
> device.

Yes, I think that'd be the best solution.

> However, it does mean that all the pinctrl/pinmux/pinconf ops for this
> pinctrl device will need to live in drivers/gpu/drm/tegra/dpaux.c which
> is fine, but I *believe* that would require moving
> drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-utils.h to include/linux/pinctrl/ in order to
> make use of these functions. May be that is fine too. I could put
> together a patch series and see what everyone thinks.

I guess it depends mostly on whether Linus (Cc'ed) is willing to have
drivers outside of drivers/pinctrl implement pin controllers. If not
it'd still be possible to have the split and expose a custom API that
would allow the DPAUX driver to register the pinctrl subcomponent (much
like we do for the SMMU part of the memory controller).

Thierry