Re: [RFC] tegra: dpaux: pinctrl proposal

On 20/05/15 20:12, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 05/20/2015 09:54 AM, Jon Hunter wrote:
>>
>> On 20/05/15 16:40, Thierry Reding wrote:
>>> * PGP Signed by an unknown key

>>> Why even have this subnode? Couldn't we simply have this:
>>>
>>>     host1x@... {
>>>
>>>         dpaux@... {
>>>             compatible = "nvidia,tegra124-dpaux";
>>>             pinctrl-0 = <&dpaux_aux_state>;
>>>             pinctrl-1 = <&dpaux_i2c_state>;
>>>             pinctrl-names = "aux", "i2c";
>>>
>>>             dpaux_aux_state: pinmux-aux {
>>>             };
>>>
>>>             dpaux_i2c_state: pinmux-i2c {
>>>             };
>>>         };
>>>     };
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> We might need to add in indices to tell apart DPAUX and DPAUX1, though
>>> perhaps we could refer to these states by path instead of phandle to
>>> avoid that. Anyway, I don't see any particular reason why a subnode
>>> would be necessary.
>>
>> My thinking was that we would have a pinctrl driver for dpaux in
>> drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-tegra-dpaux.c and therefore, I had assumed that
>> we would need a sub-node and compatible string to probe the device.
>>
>> Are you sugguesting that the pinctrl driver for dpaux lives in
>> drivers/gpu/drm/tegra/dpaux.c?
>>
>> Sorry if I am misunderstanding something here.
>
> I think a single DT node for the single HW block makes sense. IIUC, that
> would most correctly reflect how the HW is actually structured.

Yes that would be more aligned with the HW.

> I don't see any conceptual reason why the driver that binds to that node
> can't register as both a pinctrl driver plus anything else it needs to.
> For example, there are plenty of Linux drivers that register as both
> GPIO and pinctrl drivers already. If having the same "struct device"
> register with multiple subsystems doesn't work out (IIRC some subsystems
> attempt to own the struct device's one driver_data field), then the
> top-level driver can internally create whatever child devices it needs
> to do its job. Using MFD to do that feels like overkill in this
> situation since those child devices are unlikely to ever show up with
> some different parent device or register offset. Either way, the choice
> of whether to use MFD or not shouldn't affect the DT binding in any way.

Looking at it there should not be a problem here with regard to the
driver_data member of the device struct and so I don't see why the
tegra_dpaux_probe() could not call pinctrl_register() to register the
device.

However, it does mean that all the pinctrl/pinmux/pinconf ops for this
pinctrl device will need to live in drivers/gpu/drm/tegra/dpaux.c which
is fine, but I *believe* that would require moving
drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-utils.h to include/linux/pinctrl/ in order to
make use of these functions. May be that is fine too. I could put
together a patch series and see what everyone thinks.

Jon