Re: No HDMI output on AC100

<thierry.reding@xxxxxxxxx>:

> [...]
> > >
> > > run immediately after booting (that is with the default configuration
> > > before you make it work by setting a 1680x1050 mode).
> >
> > sorry, I wasn't able to get the infos. xrandr refused to connect to the
> > X server spawned by lightdm but I don't know why. Maybe some missing
> > Xauthority or something like that.
> >
> > But I got these infos, after a fresh boot:
> >
> > $ fbset -i
> >
> > mode "1920x1080"
> >
> >     geometry 1920 1080 1920 1080 32
> >     timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> >     accel true
> >     rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
> >
> > endmode
> >
> > Frame buffer device information:
> >     Name        :
> >     Address     : 0x1a100000
> >     Size        : 8294400
> >     Type        : PACKED PIXELS
> >     Visual      : TRUECOLOR
> >     XPanStep    : 1
> >     YPanStep    : 1
> >     YWrapStep   : 0
> >     LineLength  : 7680
> >     Accelerator : No
> >
> > $ fbset -i -fb /dev/fb1
> >
> > mode "1024x768"
> >
> >     geometry 1024 768 1024 768 16
> >     timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> >     accel true
> >     rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
> >
> > endmode
> >
> > Frame buffer device information:
> >     Name        : udldrmfb
> >     Address     : 0xe0dbc000
> >     Size        : 1572864
> >     Type        : PACKED PIXELS
> >     Visual      : TRUECOLOR
> >     XPanStep    : 1
> >     YPanStep    : 1
> >     YWrapStep   : 0
> >     LineLength  : 2048
> >     Accelerator : No
> >
> > When I add the boot option "video=HDMI-A-1:1680x1050" I get a working fb
> > console even while booting up. Later on I can start X manually and then
> > X switches to 1920x1080 and everything works okay.
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> This fell off the table. I discussed a similar issue with Marc on IRC
> today. The issue, IIUC, seems to be that with HDMI connected, the system
> comes up and when X starts it tries to find the best match amongst the
> various combinations of video modes on all existing heads in an attempt
> to clone the desktop to all outputs. It turns out that this causes the
> HDMI output to be configured with a resolution we don't support on Tegra
> because the clock can't provide the right frequency.
>
> There may be reasons (which I'm not aware of) for X to behave the way it
> does. It also points to an issue that we should be more clever within
> the kernel to flag as bad all the modes for which we can't provide a
> proper clock. I will have to look into that.
>
> In the meantime I think Marc had some success setting up a more useful
> output configuration using xrandr. Perhaps he can provide more
> information on exactly what he had to do to make this work and you
> (Thomas) can try to reproduce whether that gets you a usable system.

I got dualhead working by using the following xorg.conf entries:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "gpu"
    Driver "opentegra"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "LVDS-0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "HDMI-0"
    Option "LeftOf" "LVDS-0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "gpu"
    Monitor "HDMI-0"
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes "1920x1200"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

HDMI is the primary screen in this case.

I hope this helps.

Marc