Re: inclusion of embedded controllers

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Egon Alter <egon.alter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey Olof,
>
> Am Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:19:55 -0800
> schrieb Olof Johansson <olof@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Hi Egon,
>>
>> Since linux-tegra is Colin's and Erik's tree to maintain, I can't
>> speak on their behalf, but:
>>
>> You shouldn't focus on targeting that tree in this case. The driver is
>> generic and not tied to Tegra, so please target the development for
>> upstream, merge it there (I'm guessing it'll go in as a MFD driver and
>> thus through that maintainer).
>
> ok. basicly the port is based on the linux-chromeos-2.6.36 branch, arr,
> just to many tegra branches out there. I plan to send the mfd driver
> (and also the keyboard/mouse driver) via the corresponding subsystem
> maintainers, once they are ready.
>
>> Once that is done, you can either wait for linux-tegra to reach a
>> version where the driver coming down from upstream means it is
>> automatically included, or ask Colin and Erik to cherry-pick in the
>> driver through linux-next or the maintainer tree.
>
> While the driver can go through the relevant subsystems, I wonder how
> to submit the board files. They are more or less copy-n-paste from the
> harmony/seaboard files, so should they be reviewed here or
> on the arm ml (which automaticly chooses the kernel tree). Any
> suggestion?

The board files can go in through the tegra for-next tree or directly
through Russell's patch system, but I would prefer not to put them in
linux-tegra-2.6.36 if it requires pulling drivers from other
subsystems in to compile.

> I also wonder what copyright header would be appropriate as
> most code came from NVidia/Google.

If it is copied and modified, a comment in the header along the lines
of "based on board-harmony.c, (C) <original copyright>" is fine.