Re: Which for-next should I use for ASoC development?

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:28:38AM -0800, Stephen Warren wrote:

> I believe that branch is:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6
> branch for-next or possibly topic/asoc.

Either works.  All embedded audio development is in topic/asoc, and
for-next contains a merge of all the different topic branches down into
a single branch for Stephen Rothwell to pick up for -next - the other
branches in for-next are orthogonal to the embedded code.  The very
bleeding edge of ASoC is actually in:

   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/broonie/sound-2.6.git for-next

but there's usually at most a week lag between that and Takashi's tree.

> I assume that adds/edits to arch/arm/mach-tegra/... should initially be
> checked into the Tegra machine's for-next branch, i.e.:

> git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/tegra.git for-next

Yes, ideally.  Sometimes we have to have cross tree updates but ideally
there's no build time dependencies between the two trees.

> That means the development process is roughly:

> * Develop everything on ALSA/ASoC's for-next branch
> * Propose, and get-reviewed and check-in all sound/soc/* into the ALSA/ASoC
>   branch.

Yup.

> * Request a cross-subsystem merge of the ALSA/ASoC for-next branch into the
>   Tegra machine for-next branch, to pick up the new drivers.
> * Propose, and get-reviewed and check-in all arch/arm/mach-tegra/* into the
>   Tegra machine branch.

Normally what happens is that the arch/arm stuff gets checked in
separately and the merge of ASoC and arch/arm into a single tree happens
in Linus' tree during the merge window.  This means the individual
branches need to be merged together during development to actually run
the code but that's usually not much of a problem and avoids the various
trees getting tied up with each other.

If there are build time dependencies then there's a bunch of ways of
resolving that but I don't recall anything in your drivers which
would've caused such an issue - IIRC it was pretty much just a case of
defining clocks and platform devices, with no platform data supplied.
We can discuss the best way of handling those if they come up, it's
just a matter of what makes everyone's life easiest.