Re: [cadence-spi] daisy chain

Hi Geert,

On 15.06.2020 16:40, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 4:06 PM Adrian Fiergolski
> <adrian.fiergolski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sorry for the typo in the example device tree:

>>> Good point. So maybe at the level of the device tree, it could be
>>> described like that (based on the spi-cadence example):
>>>
>>>         spi0: spi@ff040000 {
>>>             compatible = "cdns,spi-r1p6";
>>>             status = "disabled";
>>>             interrupt-parent = <&gic>;
>>>             interrupts = <0 19 4>;
>>>             reg = <0x0 0xff040000 0x0 0x1000>;
>>>             clock-names = "ref_clk", "pclk";
>>>             #address-cells = <1>;
>>>             #size-cells = <0>;
>>>             power-domains = <&zynqmp_firmware PD_SPI_0>;
>>>             daisy-chain0 : daisy_chain@0 {
>>>                #address-cells = <1>;
>>>                #size-cells = <0>;
>>>                reg = <0>;
>>>                daisy-chained-devices = 2;
>>>
>>>                dac0: ltc2632@0 {
>>>                    compatible = "lltc,ltc2634-l12";
>>>                    reg = <0>;
>>>                    spi-max-frequency = <1000000>;
>>>                };
>>>                dac1: ltc2632@1 {
>>>                    compatible = "lltc,ltc2634-l12";
>>>                    reg = <1>;
>>>                    spi-max-frequency = <2000000>;
>>>                };
>>>            };
>>>         };
>>         spi0: spi@ff040000 {
>>             compatible = "cdns,spi-r1p6";
>>             status = "disabled";
>>             interrupt-parent = <&gic>;
>>             interrupts = <0 19 4>;
>>             reg = <0x0 0xff040000 0x0 0x1000>;
>>             clock-names = "ref_clk", "pclk";
>>             #address-cells = <1>;
>>             #size-cells = <0>;
>>             power-domains = <&zynqmp_firmware PD_SPI_0>;
>>             daisy-chain0 : daisy_chain@0 {
>>                #address-cells = <1>;
>>                #size-cells = <0>;
>>                #daisy-chained-devices = <2>;
> You probably want a proper "compatible" value here instead.
> I don't think "#daisy-chained-devices" is needed, it can be derived
> from the number of subnodes.
compatible = "daisy_chain" or compatible ="simple-bus" would be better?
Both could be caught by of_register_spi_devices to populate the daisy
chain. Do you agree that at that level the chip select could be defined?
The reg properties from the sub-nodes (defining actual spi devices)
would be ignored, thus not even needed to be defined.

>>                reg = <0>;
>>
>>                dac0: ltc2632@0 {
>>                    compatible = "lltc,ltc2634-l12";
>>                    reg = <0>;
>>                    spi-max-frequency = <1000000>;
>>                };
>>                dac1: ltc2632@1 {
>>                    compatible = "lltc,ltc2634-l12";
>>                    reg = <1>;
>>                    spi-max-frequency = <2000000>;
>>                };
>>            };
>>         };
>>
>>> Once a node has daisy-chanied-devices property defined,
>>> of_register_spi_device (spi.c) will interpret it as a daisy chain. I
>>> will assume, that for the given chain the lowest frequency of the whole
>>> chain should be used. When it comes to the mode, as in case of
>>> incompatibility no much can be done anyway, the mode of the addressed
>>> spi device will be used.
> Don't the modes have to agree, too?
> Else the dummy command may be interpreted differently than intended.

So, in case of incompatible mode, let's throw an error and remove
devices of the whole daisy chain, maybe?

Regards,

Adrian

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]