Re: [cadence-spi] daisy chain

Hi Adrian,

CC devicetree

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:01 PM Adrian Fiergolski
<adrian.fiergolski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13.06.2020 09:33, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 6:26 PM Adrian Fiergolski
> > <adrian.fiergolski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have a daisy chain of three ltc2634 slaves (iio/dac/ltc2632.c)
> > connected to a single chip select of the cadence-spi master. I have the
> > impression such a configuration is supported by none of those two
> > drivers. I could try to extend both, however, I haven't found any other
> > SPI driver, where I could find implementation inspiration. Is it
> > supported by kernel?
> >
> > drivers/gpio/gpio-max3191x.c supports "#daisy-chained-devices".
> > drivers/gpio/gpio-74x164.c supports multiple shift registers through the
> > "registers-number" DT property.
> >
> > So both drivers handle this in their SPI slave drivers.
> >
> > Of course this does not handle the mixed case, i.e. daisy-chaining
> > different types of devices.
> >
> > The documentation mentions only about the common 'daisy-chained-devices'
> > property (devicetree/bindings/common-properties.txt). However, in order
> > to try to implement it in the master driver, IMHO, the spi subsystem
> > would need to have a call 'no-operation' to other nodes on the
> > daisy-chain, which are not addressed by the given SPI access. Is there
> > any recommended approach to address this case?
> >
> > Supporting this in a generic way would indeed be nice, as it would mean
> > individual SPI slave drivers no longer have to care about it.
> > However, that may be difficult, as the master needs to known which
> > dummy (no-op) data is safe to shift through the non-addresses SPI slaves.
>
> In fact, the ultimate solution would be to have it solved at the level
> of the spi subsystem:
>
>   * /spi_device struct/ would contain extra callback which returns msg
>     to be sent for no operation.
>   * spi_device struct would contain a pointer to the list describing the
>     given daisy chain (list of spi_devices on the chain)
>   * /spi_device struct /would contain extra u8 daisy_chain_msg_length
>     indicating length of a command of the addressed device if it's on
>     the daisy chain
>     For example, in case of the ltc2634 device, the regular message
>     consists of 24 bits, but when device is a part of a daisy chain, the
>     messages are 32 bits. This 32 would be stored in
>     /daisy_chain_msg_length./
>   * When /spi_write/ was called (include/linux/spi/spi.h), the
>     /spi_message_init_with_transfer/ would create a msg of length equal
>     to a sum of /daisy_chain_msg_length/ of all devices on the chain.
>     Afterwards, in /spi_message_init_with_transfers/, the actual message
>     would be filled with the command of the addressed device on the
>     chain and no_operation content for all other devices on the chain
>     not being addressed

Sounds good to me.

>   * I think in such a case, the /daisy-chained-devices /property would
>     be not used, as chains would be build basing on the assigned
>     chipselect (reg property).

So you still have to describe the chain in DT in some way.
As there can be only a single sub node with the same unit address
(= chip select), you probably need a container with that address, which
would contain all devices in the chain, in order (unit addresses 0, 1, ...).

> If you agree with the above description, I could try to implement it. Of
> course any suggestion are welcome, however, I would like to have a
> working solution until end of this week, so I would appreciate an active
> feedback. As my SoC works with kernel v4.19, I would implement it for
> it, test it, and move it afterwards to the master version (I hope, there
> were no big changes in the SPI subsystem, right?).

Having something that works by the end of the week sounds doable to.
Getting it in shape for upstreaming is a different thing...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]