Re: Patch to parameterize DMA_MIN_BYTES for omap2-mcspi

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 01:28:00PM -0400, Greg Knight wrote:

> Changing DMA_MIN_BYTES to, say, "dma_min_time_ms" sounds reasonable to
> me. I don't know how to compute it completely accurately as some SPI

You probably need both - there's often a hard limit where the FIFO size
in the hardware becomes a limit for DMA as well as a soft limit on top
of that for performance reasons.

> implementations I've seen seem to like to inject little delays between
> bytes for some reason, but a reasonable enough estimate should just be
> spi_transfer_time_ms = (bits * 1000) / spi_clock_speed.

> I would like to have the ability to configure it without a kernel
> recompile, though. Would a kernel param (module_param) be acceptable for
> this application?

Exposing it as a sysfs or debugfs file might make more sense if you were
going to do this.  Is that required after merge though?  It seems like
this is something where we've perhaps been tuning the wrong parameter
(transfer size instead of runtime), or need to investigate dynamic
tuning.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]