Re: speakup and gentoo

No hardware synthesizers available here and no braille display either.
What I tried last night after a full boot was:
/etc/init.d/espeakup start speakup.synth=soft
When that failed I tried:
export speakup.synth=soft
/etc/init.d/espeakup start
That also failed.
I'll probably use be my eyes sometime this weekend and see if this can
actually be done at the boot: prompt.
If the boot: prompt doesn't work, what that tells me is accessibility
testing of install-minimal disks was pencil whipped to the extent if
espeak packages and scripts are installed then the test passes.
What was not done was a sighted tester installed speakup at the boot
prompt and waited until the install disk came up speaking the same text
gentoo shows to sighted users all the way down to the root prompt.
If that's the case this will not be good for new screen reader
accessibility installs of gentoo.
If there is no way possible to start espeak after boot, for whatever
reason that hurts gentoo in terms of flexibility in accessibility
installs.  A click on a sound card at the boot prompt could help or if
grub is used for boot control in the installer disk uncommenting the one
line that has grub play a sound or sound series at boot would be even
quicker.

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.