hardware testing tools?

Hi folks,
by which I mean computer hardware.
Still cannot get the internal dectalk working, with the second computer I had outfitted illustrating issues like the first now. So seeking a way to take strain off my cereal port, or test if indeed power changes in this house are at fault. Wish someone on list was in Canada, would buy an older computer from them smiles.
thoughts?
Kare