Re: Beep on Backspace in Console Sessions

Thanks, Samuel and Joseph, for both your emails on this topic.

Thanks for confirming the code is still present, but that it directs to
a builtin speaker--something that doesn't exist much anymore. It
certainly isn't present in my System76 Meercat, which is the native
Linux machine I'm planning to take with me when I move to New York City
in (probably just a month or so). My 2012 era tower machine has that
built in speaker, and is beeping, but much argues against keeping it on
this move.

Thanks, Joseph, for the detailed flow explanation. That suggests there
may be some value in running a few different shells to see whether
there's any difference.

I'm quite comfortable running:

amixer -cX controls

and I don't see snd-pcsp anywhere. The Meercat currently has two
devices.

It seems to me some kind of bug on alsa, or perhaps an RFE, might be in
order. The available beep command isn't a reliable substitute because it
returns "device in use" message. Seems, with pipewire, that shouldn't be
an issue, and we should be able to specify which device gets the alert
sound? Is that reasonable? Or am I a vanishing fossil here! <smile>

Best,

Janina

PS: Because I am indeed moving, I may not be as on top of this as I
otherwise might be. Many things are being tossed or given away even as
other items are being packed.

--

Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)
Accessibility Consultant https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka