Can I Increase a Buffer size in Speakup?

Hi All: This list has been `quite quiet lately. I am temporarily useing a laptop with Voxin. Since I am in Alpine with 135 lines, I tend to use a num-pad 9 to rapidly scroll through text. Well, more often lately, I suppose a buffer is over-flowing, as sometimes for several minutes it will continue reading, no keystrokes or tty changing will stop it until its finished. I even tried altering the niceness of speakup-and-voxin all the way from 10 to minus 20. Didn't seem to make any difference. As it is with Voxin, I still hear a smijin of a previous line jumbled with a current line. I did try an embedded Alison voice, but last November on a trip to NJ, speech mysteriously quit, no errors in the log, couldn't get it back with
sudo ./speechd-up
Anyway, I am not exactly thrilled with performance of software speech on this laptop. Can any1 please suggest any settings or improvements, but please `no e speak. Thanks so much in advance
Chime