Re: "Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

may I ask from where he obtained his software engineering degree?
Studied computer science?  Perhaps disability studies?
there are certainly scores of disabled individuals with these various levels of qualification..even who are Linux users. The interview did not document a single one, outside of his experiencing blindness..which is not going to insure he creates an accessible platform for fedora since access refers to several populations. and he states he knows nothing about those.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2022, Milan Zamazal wrote:

"KL" == Karen Lewellen <klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

   KL> What bothers me most are his lack of actual qualifications, and
   KL> absolute dismissal of what he has not experienced..as if he
   KL> defines Linux usage for everyone.  That attitude is dangerous,
   KL> because he is educating those outside of the accessibility
   KL> experiences, who will believe his ignorance is factual.  he has
   KL> to be expert, it is his job.

Hi Karen,

I know Lukas personally and I admire his skills and qualifications.  I
also know first hand that he is open to constructive feedback and I
believe he’d be happy to be corrected about possible technical
inaccuracies in the interview.  It may be also a good opportunity to
find out what’s possibly missing in making anybody better informed.

As for “absolute dismissal of what he has not experienced”, what
reasonable free software alternatives to a less or more standard desktop
with Orca and a software synthesizer can you see for a common blind user
who needs to use a fully working web browser, to read and process text
documents, to be compatible with other computer users, etc.?

And let’s be realistic.  We celebrate every single developer hired to
improve accessibility.  This tells something about the state of the
matters.  We cannot expect that a single person will fix all the kinds
of accessibility problems in all the environments.  Lukas works at his
job focusing on certain areas currently seen there as urgent ones and I
appreciate this opportunity.  Anybody else seeing a need to work on
other areas is welcome to contribute to whatever sees fit, as I do.

Regards,
Milan