Re: getting audio for Orca and Speakup or Fenrir

amixer is not a screen-oriented program, the kind that you navigate with the arrow keys. It's a pure command-line program, which is better for screen reader users. [1] You just have to parse the output, then formulate the appropriate next command. That can be tedious, but at least amixer doesn't rely on anything purely visual in its output. I suggest you read the man page to learn about the syntax of both the command line and the output.

[1]: I actually think that a proper GUI is often better than a screen-oriented terminal program. But I know you don't have access to the GUI yet.

Matt