From: "Matt Campbell" <mattcampbell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "K0LNY_Glenn" <glenn@ervin.email>; "Chime Hart"
<chime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux."
<speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2022 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: getting audio for Orca and Speakup or Fenrir

There unfortunately can't be a single command that always works for
unmuting, for two reasons. First, the names of the volume controls vary
depending on the sound hardware and driver. Second, there's no single
volume that's appropriate for all sound devices. If you set everything
to 100%, you may well end up with a volume that's dangerously loud. So
it always takes trial and error, starting with simply running the amixer
command with no arguments to find out the available controls and what
they're set to. This is an inconvenient but unavoidable aspect of using
a DIY system like Linux on a single-board computer, as opposed to a
pre-made, integrated platform where everything is tested and tuned by a
single vendor.

Matt