Re: [Alpine-info] Gmail IMAP with username+password (was: Instructions to configure XOAUTH2 in Gmail have changed) (fwd)

given Glenn's question, sharing the below in case these steps help someone.
kare

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 09:52:58 +0200 (CEST)
To: Alpine-info List <alpine-info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Alpine-info] Gmail IMAP with username+password (was: Instructions
    to configure XOAUTH2 in Gmail have changed)

Hello all,

I answer to this thread to keep the context.

First - Eduardo, thank you very much for keeping alpine alive and adding new
features!

  with the upcoming change in gmail whereas username/passwords combination
will stop working many users are attempting to configure Alpine woth XOAUTH2.

This change affected me yesterday - I have found that offlineimap cannot sync
the emails from gmail to my dovecot server (I don't know why, but my dovecot
IMAP is faster than Gmail IMAP in alpine, therefore I sync extern IMAPs to my
IMAP). I have logged in to my gmail and I have found, the "use less secure
apps" option is really deactivated and disabled forever.

A few months ago, when this change has been announced, I have found in the
google account the possibility to generate special application password. So I
have tested it on one low-prio account. I had to activate 2-step verification
and then I could generate special password for Mail. With this password and my
email I was able to login to IMAP using simple username+password
authentication.

And yesterday, I have activated 2-step verification (with smartphone "Yes"
click, SMS/voice call, time based OTP [google auth, andotp] and backup codes)
for all my gmail accounts and then I could generate special random password
for IMAP login. So now my offlineimap works again.

Yes, I have to login with 2-step verification to google from webclient, but the
most important is that IMAP works with simple username+password again. It works
in alpine too, if you save the password to password file, then you don't need
to remeber or copy it everytime you start alpine. Great is that you can still
use gmail IMAP in other apps without XOAUTH2 support (as my old offlineimap
version) without any changes except password.

I hope this information helps you.

Regards,

Robert Wolf.