copying a message in a terminal

Hi,
Someone is trying to figure out what is wrong with my Chirp program, and he
wrote asking to issue a command and and an error message should show up in
the terminal.
Using Ubuntu.
I know how to put  a greater and a file.txt after some commands, and it
prints to that file, but in this case, he is assuming I know how to copy
text above the cursor in a terminal, and I  have never done that, I didn't
think that was possible.
Thanks for any instructions for doing this.

Glenn