multiple gentoo speakup install failures

Things run until they don't any longer.
When they don't run any longer speakup dies.  The speakup cannot be
revived when this happens.
Also the system likely crashes since a poweroff command as root fails to
turn the system off.
Many times in order to start the computer I have to use the reset button
in addition to the power button on an 8 core 14gb ram amd system.
I tried restricting gentoo to one core with nosmp but that didn't help at
all either.
I tried with latest stage3 systemd file and latest gentoo-minimal disk.
So far as I'm concerned, gentoo at this time is uninstallable on this
system.
When speakup dies happens at random points during system installation too.
I got no idea what's going on and would like to know if I'm unique and
need a new computer or if this happens to others installing gentoo with
speakup.  I've tried gentoo and gentoo-nofb kernels too.
The farthest I got in recent install attempts was the emerge-webrsync step
which failed because of a bad /etc/portage/make.conf file.